As part of the Berlin Summer School in Social Sciences, I organized a workshop entitled “Open Access: Background and Tools for Early Career Researchers in Social Sciences.” The goal of the workshop was to introduce participants to open access publishing and present useful tools to make their publications available to a wider audience.
We addressed questions such as:
- What are the limitations of the closed publication system?
- What is OA publishing?
- What are the different types of OA publications?
- What are the available licenses for OA publications?
- What is the share of OA publications in the scientific literature and how is this changing over time?
- What sort of funding is available for OA publishing?
The workshop was structured around a 45 minute presentation punctuated by group discussions and exercises. 90 minutes were planned for the whole workshop.
This workshop was prepared as part of the Freies Wissen Fellowship sponsored by Wikimedia Deutschland, the Stifterverband, and the VolkswagenStiftung.
Feel free to share and remix the material to create your own workshop.